Wow what a week…

We had snow again surprisingly! Not as heavy as it had been a few weeks back but enough to lay and blanket everything.

This week hasn’t gone to planned really… I was hoping to get stuff done at home, complete what I needed to complete in my folder for college and make a start on my allotment.

Monday: Got the kids to school on time and managed to get to college on time too… We had a fish skill assessment which would show that we were knowledgeable, competent  and skilled at prepping and cooking fish.

Half way through our  first dish assessment we had a staff member come in to the kitchen to announce that we would have to evacuate the premises and make our way home.

I don’t know if you had heard about it or not but on the morning of Monday 19th March there was a national threat that had been sent to loads of schools. So as we had been told this; of course there is the initial panic but I was more concerned for my kids.

Has the threat been sent to my son’s school and my daughters nursery too? Are they being evacuated? I just want to make sure they are safe!

We had 15 minutes to clear up everything and get changed out of our stuff then leave.

Later on that day though it was revealed that the threat was a hoax… I am very glad it wasn’t a real threat but also very annoyed that the threat was even sent even if it was a hoax! That’s not something to joke about.

Tuesday: My son woke up in a lot of pain – His face, head and ears were hurting him, he was ridiculously drowsy and dizzy and he could hardly move. I managed to get him up and got my daughter ready. We took her to nursery while I was repeatedly trying to call through to the doctors for my son.

Yet again another morning of calling multiple times and it just beep the busy tone and ending the call before ringing. I already called his school and explained he was very unwell and in pain and I would try to get him to see a doctor and let them know whether he could go to school or not that day after.

We needed food in so I took him with me shopping while I continue to ring the doctors. By the time we left the shop and head home it finally rang! I explained to them my sons symptoms and I got a “So… ?” attitude from them at first then soon after, they sounded somewhat sympathetic towards my son due to his pain.

They said I would get a call from the doctor at some point that day…. An hour after getting home we got a call from the doctor and even he was quiet on the phone and had a “can’t be bothered” tone about him which was weird since this was the better doctor out of the lot… He told me to bring my son in for 12pm which gave us about 2 hours.

I had to pick my daughter back up from nursery at 11:30am then head to the doctors for my son’s appointment. We got to the doctors at 11:45am but wasn’t seen til 12:40pm my son looking like he would pass out and my daughter being super hyper trying to climb over all the chairs despite me continually telling her to calm down and sit down properly.

A nurse came in to the waiting room and announced my son’s name and as I stood up and said “Yes” I then turned towards my daughter and got her off the chair and got her to walk with us and my son slowly got up and the nurse seemed rather impatient looking at me to hurry up while saying “Please.” when we are already moving towards her- not to mention you could see I had my hands full!

When we get in to the room my daughter starts exploring while I sit my son down… *sigh*… I explain to the nurse about what’s been happening with my son.

Me: “He woke up in the middle of night crying. He told me his ear was really hurting and his head and face hurts too. I gave him some paracetamol and then cuddled him for a bit to help calm him down then managed to get him to sleep again. This morning he woke up crying again saying his ear, face and head still hurts and that he felt really dizzy. I had to help him up out of bed and up and down the stairs. He was really drowsy and seemed to be in a lot of pain.”

She checked his ears.

Nurse: “Has he had any problems with his ears before?”

(They should check the notes on his information when they bring up his file)

Me: “Yes he has had a few ear infections before.”

Nurse: “When was the last time?”

(*sigh* Check the notes…)

Me: “About a month or so ago I think”

Nurse: “Have you checked his temperature?”

Me: “Well I checked with my hand and he seemed a little warm this morning.”

Nurse: “But you haven’t checked his temperature with a thermometer?”

Me: “…No. I don’t have –“

(She cut me off before I could finish my sentence!)

Nurse: “You really should have a thermometer since you have children. Especially when you have a young child like that.”

(She gestures with her eyes over to my daughter who is twirling around in the middle of the room.)

Me: “Yeah I know that…”

(She didn’t let me finish! She doesn’t know the reason I don’t have one etc…)

Nurse: “Have you been giving him a drink at all today?”

Me: “Yes of course I have. He had a drink this morning.”

Nurse: “One drink?”

Me: “Well I filled a bottle up with juice for him.”

(And he never asked for a refill so I didn’t think he had finished it.)

Nurse:  “You see how cracked his lips are? That’s because he is dehydrated and you’re not giving him enough to drink.”

(Excuse me? Or it could be because it’s cold outside and he licks his lips which then cracks when it drys… He drinks more than I do!)

Me: “Okay… —“

Nurse: “So he has a poor appetite, has he gone to the toilet today?”

(Erm…I never said he had a poor appetite….)

Me: “He has been able to eat something and–“

(She cut me off again!)

Nurse: “Well you shouldn’t worry about feeding him just make sure he is drinking enough. Keeping him hydrated and giving him paracetamol regularly is key.”

Me: “I’m not sure if he has gone to the toilet yet, have you?”

(I ask my son and he tries to think… A lot has been going on this morning!)

My son: “Erm… I’m not sure… I can’t remember…”

Me: “I don’t remember I either…”

Nurse: “You should be keeping a good eye on your children at all times. I know he’s at that age where he doesn’t want to show you when he goes to the toilet but it’s important that you check his urine and that way you can tell if he is hydrated or not by the colour.”

(What!? I do watch my kids! Also he isn’t shy about showing me what he has done in the toilet so I’m not liking the assumptions! And I know about colour of urine etc… Keeping a lid on my anger at this point.)

Me: “He has been with me all day. And I do keep an eye on them.”

She turned her attention to my son.

Nurse: “Well I guess it will be a duvet day watching films for you today. Do you like watching films? What about games?”

My son: “yeah…”

The nurse turns her attention back to me.

Nurse: “Does he go on computer games like iPads, tablets and computers?”

Me: “No he doesn’t.”

Nurse: “Well it’s best not to let him sit in front of a screen as it can be bad for his eyes and strain his head and make it worse…. Be aware of that.”

Me: “Well as I said, he doesn’t.” 

Nurse: “I take it your in your pyjamas then?”

Turning her attention to my son and looking him up and down, then turning to me with a look of disgust…

(Well excuse me for letting my child be comfortable when he isn’t well!)

Nurse: “That’s it then.”

Me: “So do you think after I continue to help him stay hydrated and give him regular paracetamol today he will likely feel better by tomorrow? And if he does feel better tomorrow do you think he will be well enough to go to school?”

(I need to let the school know and makes sure I know what to look out for if he gets worse or stays the same.)

Nurse: “I don’t know. I’m not psychic! You’ll find out tomorrow if he can or not wont you. Bye then.”

(I mean! You’re a nurse! You should know what I need to look out for as well as give me an idea on if he would be well enough or not after the little advice you have just given me! Right?!)

We left and went home.

Wednesday: He was still ill.

Thursday – Sunday: All went back to normal.

Thanks for reading 🙂

x Emz x


Author: Emz

I'm a 28, ambitious full time mum of two amazing and funny children. I try to live a happy simple life but of course there can be drama even if do try to avoid it. A lot does go on with Family and friends and I try to blog as often as I can because this is a good way for me to write what I'm thinking, feeling and helps me remember things that go on and writing it down on a piece of paper doesn't do myself any justice I need to be honest with myself and if blogging is the way forward for me then so bit it. If you happen to come across my blog and actually like and follow it thank you very much. :D I have had to make strong and hard decisions in my life and I have come out stronger and wiser every time. I'm shy, opinionated and can be socially awkward at times but I am trying to build up my confidence and I just want to share with you my life story if you are willing to listen and I am only too happy to do the same for anyone else who wants me to know :) I try to be as honest, open and kind as I can in life. - My aim is to Blog every day whether I am able to keep up with that well we shall see :)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s